- Tools are a major focus in this class. Though many things can be completed by hand tools are often necessary. In creating artwork what type of tools have you used? In using these tools how did they help your work along? Explain their function and purpose. (Ex. Pottery Wheel, aviation snips, Clay ribs)
- - I have used many tools to create my art projects and although I had no previous experience with art before this class, I have learned a lot about the tools needed to sculpt and I feel like I now have a basic knowledge of them. I have used glue guns which are used to glue art materials together. I have also used clay ribs which is used to smooth out clay.
- How has your knowledge and understanding of tools changed since the beginning of the semester? Talk about your growth of understanding.
- In the beginning if the semester my art was very clumsy because I didn't use most of the tools. This was mainly because I didn't know how to use them. But now that I know how to use most of the tools I'm able to make my art more refined even though my art style is wacky tacky and quick paced.
What was your favorite material that you used this year? Why do you like working with it?
- My favorite material to use this year definitely had to be glue. I know this may sound weird but when I used the melted glue silk like consistency when using the glue gun to make my spider web piece it was really fun and I just wanted to keep going and going. I liked how it could stick from one place to the other and give it a real spider web effect.
What is a technique you used in your artwork that worked well? Explain what technique it was and why it was successful.
- One technique I used well is when I wrapped my show in plastic wrap and then covered it in plaster. I waited for the plaster to dry up and then I cut open the mold over my shoe and it came out looking just like the shape of my shoe. I probably put a little bit too much plaster though.
Which project was your least successful? Explain why you consider this work of art unsuccessful? If you were to create this project over, what changes would you make?
- I think my least successful project was the figure project. I was so mad at myself because I couldn’t think of a good way to execute my ideas properly. I wanted to make an abstract figure of two people. One person would have their heart ripped out and I would paint their body blue to show their cold blooded. The other person wouldn’t have their heart ripped out and would still be red. However I’m not good with molding clay so I just created an abstract alien clay figure and painted it gold. The limbs kept falling off and I couldn’t get everything smooth enough so it really frustrated me.